The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World

I just love Fridays. For three reasons:

1. I get to do all my writing assignments and projects, tests and such, and those are very quick.
2. IHeartFaces has Fix It Friday that gives me something to work on while I'm bored after school.
3. Tonight I am working on my solo with the choir! Nervous, but ...EXCITED!

Anywhoozins. Here is my report on the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. I will do all in my goofy and funny power to make this as enjoyable as possible.
~*~

THE GREAT PYRAMID OF GIZA:

This pyramid is the oldest of the Ancient wonders, and the only one that has lasted until today. It was built with nearly 2 million bricks, each weighing approximately two tons...Imagine hefting those about!
The person who yelled at people to make it was the Egyptian pharaoh Khufu, who wanted it as a tomb when he died, around 2560. B.C.
Methinks Khufu was a little kookoo. What about you-you?
I mean, honestly, I wouldn't wanna be put to rest in a huge, freaky temple. A coffin is fine for me, thanks.
When it was built, the Great Pyramid was 481 feet high, over the years, it lost 30 feet off the top.
It was ranked as the tallest structure for 43 centuries.
Popular structure.
...

THE HANGING GARDENS OF BABYLON:

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon were built by Nebuchadnezzar II, around 600 B.C. It is said that he had them constructed to please his wife...
Maan! Imagine.
"I am upset."
"Why are you upset, my wife?"
"I have nothing beautiful to look at."
* calls second hand man *"Make my wife a hanging garden."
"WHAT?!"
"Do it."
"O-o-okay...Um...How big, sire?"
"BIG."
"Uh...Okay."
AWESOME!
His wife, Amytis of Media, was from Persia, and Persia was beautiful. Who knows? Maybe he made it to look like Persia, her homeland.
~*~

STATUE OF ZEUS AT OLYMPIA:

Well, this little dude..Well...He's not very little. Some 39 feet tall.
A recent critic said,
"It seems that if this Zeus were to stand up, he would unroof the temple made to house him."
YOU DON'T SAY??????
The statue was created by Phidias. Kudos, Phidias.
In the sculpture, he was wreathed with shoots of olive and seated on a magnificent throne of cedarwood, inlaid with ivory, gold and precious stones. INCLUDING: Jade stones. ( xD YEAH! )
In Zeus' right hand, a small statue of crowned Nike, goddess of victory, (so THAT'S where the shoes get the name!), also chryselephantine, and in his left hand a scepter inlaid with metals on which an eagle perched on the top.
~*~

THE TEMPLE OF DIANA:

A temple dedicated to Artemis, around 550 B.C at Ephesus. Nothing remains of the temple.
So that is all we know of it.
Pretty exciting, huh? Wanna see somethin' awesome? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Artemis_Efes_Museum.JPG
~*~

THE TOMB OF MAUSSOLLUS:

The tomb of maussollus was a tomb built between 353 and 350 B.C. Approximately, 135 feet in height.
It was designed by Greek architects, Satyros and Pythus. It now lays in ruins, but it's pretty sweet...:)
~*~

THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES:

The colossus of Rhodes was a statue of the Greek god, Helios, erected on the Greek island of Rhodes by Charles of Lindos between 292 and 280 B.C.
Before it's destruction, it stood over 107 feet high, making it one of the tallest statues in the ancient world.
Media reports in 1989 initially suggested that large stones found on the seabed off the coast of Rhodes have been the remains of the colossus, but that has been proved to NOT be true. :P :)
The statue was made of bronze, and could not have been built with it's legs apart, because it would collapse from it's own weight.
Heavy dude.
Ancient accounts describe the statue as being built with iron tie bars. Much of the iron and bronze in it was reforged from the various weapons Demetrius' battle left behind.
SO THAT is where all this recycling stuff started.
~*~

THE LIGHTHOUSE OF ALEXANDRIA:

This lighthouse was a tower built in the 3rd century B.C on the island of Pharos in Alexandria, Egypt to serve as the port's landmark, and later, a lighthouse.
Probably why they call it the lighthouse now. That would just be boring. 'THE LANDMARK OF ALEXANDRIA', Ooh! So exciting! Such oral interest...:P I'd love to read THAT school report.
It was about 380 to 490 feet. People are still arguing about it.
It was among the tallest-man-made structures for a while.
~*~

And there now...

WAKE UP!

* jumps through screen and pours water on you *

I'm DONE! You can get on with your life now!
WAKEY WAKEY!

C'mon!!! I tried not to be too boring...

* sigh *

6 murmurs:

I don't get bored by stuff like that I have always liked ancient history. Is that weird? LOL.

Jonathan.

March 02, 2009 12:21 PM  

Since I haven't seen these I think I shall blog the seven wonders I have seen.

March 04, 2009 1:39 PM  

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 04, 2009 1:40 PM  

I'm glad you posted these. They were good reminders for me and I'm going to make it an assignment for Shane to come read about them here. It will be later or tomorrow though. The poor thing just finished a math test and has a bad cold, so he's no in the mood to do another thing right now! You do know how those math tests can leave one feeling, don't you? lol

March 05, 2009 2:19 PM  

Very very good Blog.

March 08, 2009 1:54 PM  

November 07, 2009 5:14 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home